All the world’s history
– at your fingertips!
If you want to know why our world is the way it is, you’re in the right place!
Use our search:
Or browse history with our atlas and encyclopaedia.
The Atlas gives you a panoramic overview of the grand sweep of world history.
The Encyclopedia lets you dig deeper into civilizations, empires and key historical events.
This area offers teachers and students support for getting the most from the site.
The Atlas and Encyclopedia
of our World’s History
The TimeMap of World History is designed to make all the world’s history easily accessible, so that we can understand each others’ pasts better.
The Atlas contains 1,000+ maps covering world, regional and country histories, while the Encyclopedia offers the opportunity to investigate topics in more depth.
TimeMaps is the perfect tool for teachers and students
By providing engaging and powerful ways for students to understand the past, the TimeMap of World History is ideal for supporting world history programs in schools and colleges. It offers:
- a highly visual approach that helps students quickly and easily grasp the histories of different regions;
- support for understanding such issues as change over time and cause and effect in history; and
- great resources for student-based project work.
The TimeMaps Premium service offers a growing range of exclusive resources not available in the free area. These are especially useful for teachers and their students, but will also be of interests to anyone wanting to learn more about history.
The units are of the same authoritative quality you already see on the site.
Benefits of Premium
- An ad-free experience of the whole TimeMaps site
- Coverage of major historical topics not included in the free area
- Suggestions for teachers on making the most of the materials
- Learning support for student project work
Take a look around
The Atlas of World History contains 1000+ maps covering world, regional and country histories.
The Encyclopedia contains articles covering all the civilizations, empires and great episodes of world history.
This huge website is ideal for learning about all the world’s history! We have classroom ideas and teacher support.